Friday, March 20, 2009

MY APOLOGIES

I would like to send my sincerest apologies to the Penn State men's basketball team.

As hard as it is for me to say this, I gave up on them earlier this week.

With four seconds left and George Mason at the line last Tuesday, I was getting ready for football season. I said to myself, "there's no way there can possibly any magic left in this team." And, sure as the rash you got from that burner last weekend,  Talor Battle worked his magic again.

I believe Joe said it best on the phone to me seconds later before overtime began, "there's NO way we can lose now." However, thinking back to that phone call, Joe's words meant more than I thought. He didn't mean there was no way we could lose that game, but there is no way we can lose again this season.

Let me back up a little bit. Neck and neck with a feisty George Mason team, Jamelle Cornley was sent to the trainer's table after his shoulder popped out in the second half for the third time this season. Now, I've never had my shoulder dislocated, but I imagine that after the first time it hurts pretty bad.  With the Lion's leader on the shelf with a sling on his left shoulder, and Battle in one of his worst shooting slumps of the season (0-7 in the second half), I was sure the season was over and the Lions were once again one and done in the NIT.

Boy was I wrong and for that I'm sorry.  The Lions haven't given up once this season...what was I thinking?

Fast forward three days and the Lions are now resting comfortably, waiting for their third round date with Billy Donovan's Gators.  Not only is he magic still around, but apparently it has never been stronger.  The Lions have won two consecutive post-season games for the first time since 2001, and in doing so, avenged their loss to URI from earlier this season (all without their big-man). 

Now I'm not sure when the third round match up against Florida will be, and I'm not sure if Cornley and Battle will be healthy enough to play...but I am sure about one thing.  Joe was right.  There's NO way this team can lose...not now, not after everything they've accomplished this season.

(I hope.)

No comments: