Friday, February 27, 2009

NO WAY AROUND IT

I've been wanting to write a long, expansive post these last few days, but every time I try, I feel like my main point is being diluted.  Maybe that's because I'm not the best writer and I often struggle making any point, but after thinking about it, maybe it's because I didn't actually have a main point. 

There's much to be said and written about these Nittany Lions.  At the beginning of the long season, some people thought they were good, but not this good.  Some people thought they good, but a lot better than this.  Now 28 games into the season, they sit at 19-9, with an 8-7 Big Ten record.  "Like it or lump it," to quote my mother Karen, that's where they are.  Penn State is your picture-perfect example of a bubble team.

Forget about all of the mock brackets, forget about all the 'what ifs's, and 'what could have been's.' The Lions have to win their remaining three regular season games if they want to be seriously considered for the NCAA Tournament.  In year's past, that wasn't just a long-shot, it was basically impossible.  The Lions didn't have the personnel, talent, or drive and even though we're 28 games into the season, we still don't know if that personnel, talent or drive is there. 

At times, it's obvious that this team can beat anyone in the nation.  However, using last Tuesday's game against the Buckeyes as an example, at times this team looks as lost and unmotivated as ever.

There's no way around it, the Nittany Lions are backed against a wall. The squad has three legitimate must win games left, or they'll be basking in the mediocrity of the NIT Tournament. I for one am very interested in how this team will respond to a must win game.  Come to think of it, I can't remember the last time Penn State was in a must win game that had tournament ramifications on the line.  2001 is the most likely answer.  If that's so, it's been 8 whole years since this team has HAD to win.  Well that time has finally come, and it should be exciting to watch.

Can you imagine Jamelle Cornley's demeanor in a game he HAS to win?  Can you picture Talor Battles motivation when he knows the NCAA's are depending on it?  I can, and if I was anyone else in the Big Ten, I wouldn't want to play these Nittany Lions.

Tournament aside, tomorrow is Senior Day at the Bryce Jordan Center.  Come out and support four seniors who have had, albeit very different, significant impacts on this program over the past four of five years.  Come early, be loud, wear white.  Tip off against Indiana is at 6 p.m.


1 comment:

AndyPsu07 said...

Wasn't pretty, but we got the W we needed nonetheless. I think winning one of these two next games with a Big Ten Tourny win will get us in. To get higher than a 12 seed, we need to win them both.